“The Liftmaster Model 8550 Elite Series has new technological features,
plus the best warranty Liftmaster offers.”
The LiftMaster 8550 is the newest Elite Series belt drive garage door opener from LiftMaster. It is one of the two latest DC garage door openers featuring Liftmaster MyQ™ technology and a battery backup system.
The belt drive lifting mechanism is ultra quiet, strong and reliable, and is powered by a powerful 3/4 HPc* DC motor. This model also received the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.
*DC power is measured in Newtons rather than horsepower. With 900 Newtons of power, the 8550 surpasses the power of a standard 3/4 HP AC powered model.
Most 800 Newton DC motors are compared to 3/4 HP AC, while 1000 Newton motors are compared with 1 HP AC. The Liftmaster 8550 falls between those.
Liftmaster 8550 Garage Door Opener features
Horsepower: 3/4 HPc* DC Power (900 Newtons – Exceeds 3/4 HP AC motors)
Type of Drive: Belt
Light Source: 2 Lights (100 watts maximum/light) with flexible light time delay and compatibility with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs)
- Security+2.0 and Posilock Technology: This is Liftmaster’s latest 3 button garage door remote with rolling code technology, provides users with a new security code each time the remote control is utilized. The Posilock® system ensures that the garage door remains locked every time it’s closed.
- Protector System: As with all Liftmaster residential models, the LiftMaster 8550 features Protector System® infrared garage door sensors. An infrared light beam provides an invisible “trip wire” across the base of the garage door opening that will stop and reopen the garage door if the light beam is interrupted by a person, pet or object. The opener lights also turn on and flash when the Protector System is activated.
- Door Sensing Technology: If contact is made between your garage door and a person or object while it is closing, the sensing technology will stop the operation immediately and reopen the door.
- Manual Release Handle: This feature allows you to release the garage door from the track so it can be opened and closed manually
- Alert 2-Close Warning System: If you use the remote closing or the Timer-to-Close feature (auto-close in a pre-set number of minutes) to close the garage door, the “Alert” gives an audible and visual warning.
- Liftmaster MyQ: Allows users to control and manage the garage door opener and other MyQ-enabled accessories with the use of computer or smartphones even outside the house. Requires LiftMaster Internet Gateway to work. Learn more about Liftmaster MyQ technology.
- Battery Backup System: Homeowners can still gain access to the garage even if there is a power outage.
- Reliability, Durability and Efficiency: The LiftMaster Premium Series 8550 is specifically designed and manufactured for durability and reliability, and the outstanding warranty backs this up. Like it’s chain drive counterpart, the Liftmaster 8360, this DC powered model also uses up to 75% less power when in standby mode.
- Smart Garage Door Opener System: This feature allows users to program the device’s security codes easily by using either the garage door opener powerhead (the motor mounted to the ceiling) or the LiftMaster Smart Control Panel Keypad.
- 200 Watt (max.) Lighting: The LiftMaster 8550 offers up to 200 watts of light with adjustable time delay and CFL light bulb compatibility.
- HomeLink Compatible: This feature is compatible with LiftMaster’s Quicktrain™ technology.
- Auto Force: Only available on DC garage door openers, the Auto Force feature constantly monitors the garage door and adjusts as needed for temperature variance, door track movement and variations in floor height.
- Slow Start and Stop: Another exclusive to DC openers, slow start and stop makes for a quiet garage door opener and reduces wear and tear with soft take-offs and landings, so to speak. If you have living space above or adjacent to your garage, this is good thing.
Liftmaster 8550 Warranty:
- Lifetime on the Motor and Belt
- 5 Year on Parts
- 1 Year on Battery Backup
Garage Door Opener Manual:
Liftmaster Model 8550 Garage Door Opener Manual (PDF 6.34 MB, Opens in New Window)
- Additional Garage Door Remotes
- Various MyQ™ Accessories (see below)
LiftMaster 8550 – The Latest Garage Door Opener Technology
Previous Elite Series models have had battery backup, but the new Liftmaster MyQ™ Technology is a leap ahead. There are currently only two Liftmaster models with MyQ. This one and the Liftmaster 8360 chain drive model.
MYQ™ Technology — This addition to the newest Liftmaster garage door openersenables you to control your garage door with a smart phone or a computer. The concept is similar to other home automation systems, like Lear Car2U® as an example, except that control is not limited to a special transmitter device.
MyQ™ works with computers and smart phones and can be used from literally anywhere you have an internet connection. If you are out of town and a contractor or family member needs access to your home, you can hop online and handle it remotely.
Other features include remote light control, allowing you to turn lights on and off in your home, and remote garage door monitoring to ensure the door is closed. Just remember you will have to buy the optional LiftMaster Internet Gateway™, MyQ light switches and lamp accessories, as well as the optional garage door monitor to make it work.
It’s a pretty neat feature if you have the need (or you want the latest cool electronic gadget). Learn more about Liftmaster MyQ technology.
MyQ™ Technology-enabled accessories include:
- 829LM Garage Door Monitor
- 823LM Remote Light Switch
- 825LM Remote Light Control
- 828LM Lift Master Internet Gateway (required to make the other accessories work)
Battery Backup System — The Battery Backup System keeps things working during a power outage. The on-board 12 Volt battery will open and close the garage door when the power is down, and recharge when power returns. All safety and security features continue to work, too.
If you live in an area suffering from frequent blackouts and power failures, this is a great feature. You can always use the manual release handle if you are inside the garage, but it won’t do you any good if you are outside with no power.
From Liftmaster 8550 Garage Door Opener back to Garage Door Opener Reviews
Return to Garage How To home