Garage Organization is Easy with Gladiator Cabinets
“Gladiator cabinets are part of the Gladiator Garageworks line, including
cabinets, wall hanging systems, tool chests and a Whirlpool quality refrigerator.
Whirlpool’s innovative line of Gladiator Garage storage products allows homeowners to maximize their garage’s storage space while creating an upscale look at a reasonable price. One of the most important and extensive components of the line is the Gladiator Garage cabinets.
Gladiator cabinets are made of high-quality steel construction and integrate beautifully with the rest of the line’s products to create a finished look and a very efficient system for any garage.
Gladiator Garage Cabinets Come in Two Lines
The Gladiator Garageworks line is all about options, and those options start with the two available lines of cabinets.
Premier – The Premier Series is pre-made, with welded steel construction. The “premier” label also means these garage cabinets have a higher end finish and more standard features, including:
- Full width doors with magnetic latches
- Full extension drawer slides (on cabinets with drawers)
- Solid rubber casters
- Door and drawer locks included
- Included drawer liners, top mat, side bumpers and side handles for the base module
- Lifetime limited warranty
|Gladiator GarageWorks GAGB272DRG Premier Modular GearBox|
Within the Premier line, Gladiator also sells what seems to be another line called ProSeries. Actually, the ProSeries garage cabinets are nearly identical to the standard Premier Series lockers except for one thing. The recessed door handles are plastic on the standard lockers and they are metal on the ProSeries.
So, why offer the ProSeries at all? Although most Gladiator garage cabinets can be bought through retail outlets like Amazon.com, the ProSeries is only available through a network of professional dealers. If you want the best, you don’t want to do-it-yourself and you want metal handles for the doors and drawers, go with the ProSeries.
Ready to Assemble – The Ready-to-Assemble Series is more moderately priced. These garage cabinets still have a nice finish and coordinate well with the entire Gladiator line, but the number and quality of included accessories is as follows:
- Partial width doors with clasp and pin-style latches
- Partial extension drawer slides (3/4 vs. full extension on Premier cabinets with drawers)
- Optional plastic caster kit
- No door and drawer locks included
- No included drawer liners, top mat, side bumpers or side handles for the base module
- 10 Year limited warranty
Both lines come in a number of configurations and with Whirlpool’s excellent design and construction. Homeowners don’t need to choose between quality and price, as both lines are well made. The lines differ in warranties and details, but both offer good value.
Gladiator Garage Cabinets: Installation
Gladiator cabinets can be installed in one of three ways:
- They can be hung on Gladiator’s GearTrack®. GearTrack is a heavy duty plastic track that attaches to your garage wall. They come in handy 4 foot long and 6 inch high pieces that can be installed anywhere you have open wall space.The track has two channels (slots) in it to accept all kinds of hooks, baskets and garage organization accessories. It is also designed to hold Gladiator cabinets using special brackets included with every cabinet. Once installed, the cabinets can be easily adjusted by simply sliding them to the right or the left.
- They can be hung on Gladiator GearWall® panels. GearWall panels are slotted 1 foot tall by 8 foot long panels that are attached to the wall. If you have ever been in a retail store and seen slotted wall panels on which display hooks, baskets, etc., are hung, GearWall is the same idea.Similar to GearTrack, GearWall will accept all of Gladiator’s hooks, baskets and garage organization accessories. All of Gladiator’s GearBoxes and GearBox garage cabinets are designed to hang on Gear Wall. You can even hang cabinets that would typically sit on the garage floor. Cleaning your garage floor is much easier when cabinets are mounted up off the floor.
- They can be hung directly on the wall. Traditionally, wall cabinets are simply screwed to the wall. Since most homes are framed with studs at 16 inches on center, installers simply locate the studs and screw through the back of the cabinet into the stud.Gladiator makes this process a little easier by pre-drilling their cabinets with holes at 8 inch intervals. A 24″ Wall Gear Box, for example, has four holes across the top and four across the bottom of the cabinet back. You simply locate the studs, align your cabinet and attach it using 1/4″ – 20 x 1 1/2″ long lag screws.For rolling GearBox and GearDrawer models, you simply attach the casters (included with Premier Series and available at extra cost for Ready-to-Assemble models) and roll them wherever you want. Technically, that’s a fourth installation method. I stand corrected.
Gladiator Garage Cabinets: Something for Everybody
The Gladiator garage cabinet system includes a variety cabinets, including GearBox cabinets in various styles and with adjustable shelving. Each cabinet in the line is designed to work well together, fitting seamlessly with the rest of the rolling and wall-mounted cabinet options.Whether you choose the Gladiator Premier series, the Premier ProSeries, Ready-to-Assemble cabinets or some combination of the three, there is a wide variety of types and sizes of modular cabinets to fit your garage organization needs. More options makes it easy to plan and design a Gladiator garage storage system that is uniquely yours.
The modular design of Gladiator garage cabinets makes them easy to configure whether you mount them on the wall or place them on the floor. Floor cabinets, or “base cabinets” as some would call them, can be either stationary or fitted with casters for versatility. The Gladiator Wall System, including GearTrack® and Gear Wall®, makes designing an efficient and space-saving wall storage system simple.
If you need a spare refrigerator in your garage, you might want to consider a Gladiator Refrigerator. Because the refrigerator is made by Whirlpool, it is a quality appliance rather than an afterthought made just to match the cabinet line.
A Place for Everything
In planning your Gladiator Garage storage design, you can choose from cabinets with doors only or a combination of doors and drawers. All of the cabinets are available in various widths, allowing you to make the most of your wall space and square footage.
Whether you need extra storage space for household supplies, an organized garden center or a place to put all of your sports equipment, you’ll find great ways to get everything organized using your available space.
Extra Workspace for Extra Value
There are also some handy and options you can add to your design to make your garage storage space more efficient. Gladiator Garageworks offers optional VersaTop™ work surfaces that fit over two of the modular base cabinets. This is a quick and simple way to build your own garage workbench.
VersaTop™ work surfaces are durable, sealed to resist moisture, and there are sizes to fit 24″ deep Premier Series cabinets or 18″ deep Ready-to-Assemble cabinets. At just over 56″ long they fit perfectly over two modular GearBoxes placed side-by-side. These are great additions for those that want some extra space to work on hobbies or projects without having to spend more money on additional freestanding workspace.
Gladiator Garage Cabinets: A Worthy Addition to your Garage Organization Project
Whether you spend a lot of time working in your garage or you just use it for parking and storage, making the most of the space makes good sense. Better garage organizationand storage options mean more space freed up in the home.
An efficient garage storage system also saves a great deal of time and makes your garage a space you may actually enjoy. Just be warned: neighbor envy could be a byproduct of your efforts.